Director: Nancy MeyersWriter: Nancy Meyers
Starring: Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, Steve Martin
Release Date: December 25, 2009
Length: 2 hours
Here comes another Nancy Meyers film, for all you middle age woman out there. It has been three years since Meyers last film, The Holiday and the female population has missed her straightforward humor. Jane Adler is a working, divorced mother, living in a beautiful house in Santa Barbara, California. Her three gorgeous children are all grown up and have moved out of the house, and she is the owner of her own bakery in town. She is now planning on adding an extension to her house, with the help of her architect, Adam (Steve Martin). When in New York for her son’s graduation, Jane see’s her ex husband of 10 years, Jake (Alec Baldwin), who is now remarried to a much younger woman who is planning on having children with him. When the old pair run into each other, the old sparks reignite and history starts to repeat itself. My trouble with his film was that the overall storyline wasn’t relatable to my ‘teenage’ mind, but nevertheless still enjoyable. That problem was probably what set me apart from everyone else, who absolutely loved the film, as I just enjoyed it. I have loved every single one of Nancy Meyers other films like The Parent Trap and Something’s Gotta Give. It’s Complicated evoked the same humor and tone that Meyers’s previous films had, but I unfortunately didn’t laugh as much during It’s Complicated, than I did during her other films. Meryl Streep can never do wrong, and god bless the diversity between all her roles. It was refreshing to see Meryl Streep as just a regular woman of today as opposed to a nun, or Julia child, or a conceited fashion editor. It’s Complicated was a break from Meryl Streep being Meryl Streep. Alec Baldwin seems to be in about everything in 2009, with starring roles in the hit show 30 Rock, and the indie film, Lymelife and supporting roles in My Sister’s Keeper and It’s Complicated. Alec Baldwin is just as greatly admired as Meryl Streep at this point and the casting for this film couldn’t have been more perfect. Steve Martin hasn’t done a good comedy in a while, so it was great to see him in a nice role in a good movie for a change. Not my favourite Nancy Meyers film, but I still liked It’s Complicated very much. And if you are over the age of 20, I feel like you’ll like it a lot more than I did.
No comments:
Post a Comment