Writer: James Cameron
Starring: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver
Release Date: December 18, 2009
Length: 2 hours 42 minutes
He said he was the king of the world after Titanic, well now he must be the Emperor. It’s been over 10 years since the legendary James Cameron delivered the world the academy award winning Titanic, of which Cameron won 3 Oscars. This film will guarantee him more gold men to add to the shelf. Written by Cameron as well, Avatar is such a profound story that someone only as great as James Cameron would be able to pull it off. In the year of 2154, Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) is a handicapped marine who’s been stationed on the planet Pandora, where a large group of Americans are trying to bulldoze part of the planet to reach a valuable, rare rock. The group of people who live on this planet are the Na’vi, or just tall, blue people. A replica body of the Na’vi is made for Jake and he is sent by head Scientist Grace Augustine (Sigourney Weaver) into Pandora to research the Na’vi’s, and gain their trust. Soon Jake meets Na’vi beauty Neytiri (Zoe Saldana), and with guidance from Neytiri, Jake learns how to be like one of them. Going back and forth between his Avatar and his human body, Jake is constantly reporting what the Na’vi and Pandora are like to the other scientists. Understanding more about the beautiful land, Jake starts to questions the army’s plans to destroy it. If a person goes to see this film, it is a necessity that they see it in 3D. This is just because every scene filmed on Pandora – which was most scenes – looked so magnificent to the eye. I loved watching the film in 3D because that meant I never tore my eyes away from the stunning film in front of me. When the film was finished, I felt that I just exited the world of Pandora where this incredible story took place. People seem to think it was only the beautiful visual effects and 3D that pulled the audience into the story, and it’s true, the scenes were quite breathtaking, but people may not guess that the story was extremely intriguing as well. After seeing the film, I still thought about it a great deal as well as some of the environmental issues that were highlighted in the film. Writing this review, I almost feel that I am not doing this masterpiece any justice, as it is the best movie experience I ever had. Sam Worthington, Sigourney Weaver and Zoe Saldana give great performances in Avatar, but the true star of this film was Mr. Cameron himself. You could feel him in every spectacular scene. This is something I do not find during any other film. It is quite the understatement to say that James Cameron is a creative genius when it comes to film, storytelling, and film technology. This is by far my favourite film of 2009, and definitely one of my favourite films of all time. Avatar is guaranteed to win Oscars this March, otherwise I might have to turn off the television. Even if you’re not a sci-fi or James Cameron fan, everyone who likes movies needs to give Avatar a try, because it will be worth every minute of your time.
No comments:
Post a Comment