Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Ugly Truth

Director: Robert Luketic
Writers: Nicole Eastman, Karen McCullah Lutz
Starring: Katherine Heigl, Gerard Butler
Release Date: July 24, 2009
Length: I hour 36 minutes



















The prettier the stars, the uglier the script, and truth be told, this movie is not going to break that streak.  Know-it-all, needy News producer Abby, who of course has no time for a social life is working at a news show in Sacramento that is doing poorly with ratings. When her boss hires Mike a sexist gross guy who Abby detests, his segment “the ugly truth” about women who can’t deal with the fact that guys are guys becomes a hit, and she is forced to work with him. Mike agrees to help Abby get a date with her handsome neighbor, and if his techniques don’t work she can fire him. The Ugly Truth is the 500th installment of the predictable cliché “beautiful girl who has no life likes boy and hates other boy, then girl falls for cynical rude but ‘charming’ boy she hated” franchise and the 18th for Katherine Heigl (producer of this film also).  Frankly I’m getting tired of the “doesn’t have time to have sex or go out because I work so much” character frequently played by Heigl who is young and gorgeous and if wasn’t married could probably get any guy she wants. I’m also getting tired of Heigl doing cheesy chick flicks like this and 27 Dresses and then regretting doing knocked up (which made her career) and saying at one point that she didn’t like the writing she was getting from Grey’s Anatomy. I guess Mrs. Heigl is partly a reason (if you haven’t already guessed it) that I wasn’t the biggest fan of this movie. Also are we really supposed to believe that Heigl – or anyone for that matter – would turn down Colin a very attractive young doctor with a six-pac for Mike, a 10 years older sexist with a pot-belly? Well I didn’t. And, but of course the very good-looking guy Colin who Heigl is trying to go out with is written with no personality and doesn’t hold your interest to make the audience prefer Butlers character more as a love interest.  You’ve seen this movie in every other chick flick before, and if you haven’t? You’re not missing much.

No comments:

Post a Comment