Friday, August 28, 2009

Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince

Director: David Yates
Writer: Steve Kloves, J.K. Rowling (author)
Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint
Release Date: July 15, 2009
Length: 2 hours 33 minutes

Instead of a thrilling adventurous family film, Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince was more of a romantic comedy…which is okay, but is that what you think of when someone says Harry Potter? It’s time again, Harry is back and now he’s actually hit puberty. It’s his sixth year and he has just fought Voldemort for about the 18th time. Now that he knows he is “the chosen one” - meaning the one to kill Voldemort – Dumbledore is going to help him with extra “classes” to prepare Harry to finish him off. In the process though he gets distracted. Harry now believes bully Hogwartz student Draco Malfoy is a death eater – Voldemorts follower – and is doing something  worthy of suspicion within the castle. He is also distracted with his own personal problems, now that he likes his best friend’s sister Ginny Weasley. Meanwhile, his two best friends, Ron and Hermione are having separate romantic issues of their own. Now that Harry is 16, you can take it more seriously, as opposed to when he was 11. Harry, Hermione, and Ron are all grown up now, so that means more love interests,  more wand-fights and more interest from the audience. But unfortunately, for me Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was missing the pulse-shaking fight and spider and werewolf scenes from the previous films. The director of the last Harry Potter came back to his chair for the half blood prince, and I really wish he hadn’t. David Yates almost ruined the 5th Harry Potter movie for me, and he almost came close with this one. If it wasn’t for the performances of the three main stars, I would have been bored to tears. I much preferred the films directed by Chris Colombus and Mike Newell. I’m just hoping he doesn’t screw up the last two movies, which he is also directing. This installment was definitely an improvement from the 5th one, but at least the last one had a thought out climax. Although, compared to previous films this one was nicely based off the 6th book. It didn’t take out too much and kept everything important. This film surprisingly generated more laughs then intrigue. It was very anti-climactic. Towards the end, there isn’t really anything to get excited about. I saw the midnight showing the first night it came out. So you can guess that I was pretty excited. My excitement stayed throughout the film because I was excited, but the film wasn’t exciting at all. I left the theatre thinking, wow wasn’t that amazing. Then I saw it a few weeks later with friends. Having less excitement going in the second time, I realized what I was watching actually wasn’t all that amazing. Still good though. The movie is worth the watch, but be prepared for two and a half hours where, not once are you on the edge of your seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment